Bullets celebrate another title

Published 9:23 am Wednesday, October 31, 2007

JAMESVILLE — Richie Ange used to have unbelievable success as a player for the Jamesville Bullets.
A four-year starter at quarterback and defensive back, Ange helped guide the Bullets to a state championship in 1984, a 6-0 victory over Rosman. The Bullets, who went 13-0 that season, were incredibly stingy on defense. After allowing six points in the season opener, a 26-6 win over Bath, Jamesville recorded nine consecutive shutouts.
Ange played a huge role with the defense, finishing his career with a NCHSAA-record 40 career interceptions from 1981-84.
Ange, who was a pitcher and shortstop for the Bullets, returned to his high school after college to become a coach. Along with coaching softball, Ange has been the head football coach for 15 seasons.
He’s won over 70 games and holds a 37-15 record over the last five seasons.
The Bullets (7-2, 7-0) are certainly feeling pride these days. Jamesville wrapped up its fourth consecutive conference championship after posting a 20-16 win over Creswell (6-2, 5-2) in Monday night’s Tideland Conference battle.
Monday’s win over the Tigers gave the Bullets 22 straight conference victories. The last time Jamesville lost in conference play was the 2004 season in a 42-8 setback to Camden.
The Bullets will look to make it 23 consecutive conference wins when they wrap up regular season play at home Friday night against Cape Hatteras. It’s Senior Night for the Bullets. Five players will be honored — Regis Bell, Ricardo Hardison, Josh Mizelle, Josh Trueblood and Jermaine Smith. Bell and Hardison have played four years with the Bullets. Mizelle is a two-year varsity player while Trueblood and Smith are first-year players.
When they walk off the field with ‘Jamesville’ draped across the chest, Ange and his players will do so with their heads held high.