Goddard an AP All-American

Published 4:26 pm Wednesday, December 17, 2008

By Staff
By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor
Trimane Goddard is going to need more room for all these awards.
Goddard, a senior safety with the North Carolina Tar Heels, was named to the 2008 Associated Press All-America Second Team, which was released Tuesday. He also received honorable mention on the SI.com All-America team.
This comes on the heels of Goddard being named to the 2008 Walter Camp All-America Second Team and the 2008 Rivals.com All-America Third Team last week.
Goddard, who was named to the All-ACC First Team for his stellar play this season, also picked up a couple honors during North Carolina’s football banquet. He received the Cary Boshamer Award, which goes to the Outstanding Defensive Back, and earned the James Sutherland Award for being a team captain.
It’s been a busy, but memorable week for Goddard. On Sunday, Goddard graduated with a sociology degree.
Included in that group was Donnie Kiefer, Goddard’s coach at Roanoke High School. Kiefer presented Goddard with the helmet he wore during his senior season with the Redskins, along with his commitment letter to North Carolina and various newspaper articles about Goddard’s decision to join the Heels.
Goddard, a 5-11, 200-pounder, is tied for the national lead with seven interceptions. That mark is tied for third-best in a single season by a Tar Heel player.
He returned one of those interceptions for a touchdown.
Goddard also has 48 tackles, five pass break-ups, two fumble recoveries and one forced fumble this season.
He’ll look to add to those totals when his Tar Heels face the West Virginia Mountaineers in the Meineke Car Care Bowl on Dec. 27. The game, which will kick off at 1 p.m. and air on ESPN, will be held at Charlotte’s Bank of America Stadium.
The game is a sell-out.