Knox named all-conference|PCC’s Watson named Pitcher of the Week

Published 12:08 pm Thursday, April 22, 2010

By KEVIN TRAVIS
Sports Editor
Meredith Knox completed her softball career in impressive fashion.
Knox, a former standout at Washington High School, had an outstanding senior season with the Anderson Trojans, where she earned all-conference and all-tournament honors.
Knox hit a team-best .418 with 11 home runs and 40 RBIs. The senior had 13 doubles and two triples among her 56 hits, which tied for the team lead. Knox scored a team-high 43 runs and stole six bases.
Because of her strong play at the plate and at shortstop, Knox was named to the Conference Carolinas All-Conference First Team.
Knox ranked third in the conference in doubles, third in the league in runs scored and fourth in hitting percentage. The 5-foot-9 senior posted an 11-game hitting streak and was eighth in the conference in home runs and tied for eighth in total hits.
She capped her season with an impressive performance in the conference tournament, where she was named to the all-tournament team.
Knox had a .467 batting average in the tournament’s five games, recording seven hits in 15 at bats, which included a pair of home runs and three doubles. She also drove in 10 runs.
The former Pam Pack star had an incredible 1.067 slugging percentage.
She went 3-for-4 in Anderson’s come-from-behind 7-6 win over Mount Olive in the tournament opener, including a three-run game-winning home run to center field. Knox also accounted for the Trojans’ only run in a 2-1 setback to Limestone with an RBI-double. Knox also blasted a two-run walk-off home run in the bottom of the eighth inning to give the Trojans a dramatic 4-2 win past the eighth-seeded Lady Falcons.
This year marked the third time in Knox’s career that she earned all-conference honors.
As a freshman, she was named the conference’s Freshman of the Year and was voted to the first team. She led the Trojans in batting average (.416), at bats (137), runs scored (45), hits (57) and doubles (18).
Knox earned second team honors in 2008 after hitting .333 with a team-best 11 doubles and 16 RBIs.
As a junior, Knox clubbed eight homers, drove in 28, scored 31 times and had a .333 batting average. She was named to the all-tournament team as a junior.
Knox finished her career hitting better than .380 with 40 homers, 106 RBIs and over 200 hits. That included 51 doubles over four seasons. She also scored close to 150 runs.
CHARITY WATSON
Charity Watson continues to impress in her first season of college softball.
Watson, a former star at Washington High School, is a freshman pitcher with the Pitt Community Bulldogs. She was named the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Pitcher of the Week once again.
On April 17, in game one of a doubleheader against USC Sumter, the freshman threw another no-hitter. She struck out 12 and walked just one in five innings in a 10-0 win.
In game two of the doubleheader, Watson went three innings and didn’t allow a hit in an 8-3 win. She struck out four.
Watson is 23-4 with a 0.46 ERA this season. Watson has fanned 323 and walked 87 in 181 2/3 innings. She has allowed just 53 hits in 34 games.
She is second in ERA among NJCAA Division I pitchers. Her 323 strikeouts is tops among Division I pitchers.
Watson is averaging 1.78 strikeouts per inning, which ranks second in the nation.
She has recorded 12 shutouts this year.
AMANDA BEIRNE
Amanda Beirne, a former star at Northside High school, is playing at Meredith. Beirne just wrapped up her freshman season, where she was named to the USA South all-conference third team.
Beirne was 8-7 with a 1.98 ERA this season. The win total ranks first on the team. The freshman fanned 92 and walked 34 in 95 1/3 innings.
Beirne hit .220 (9 for 41). Two of her hits went for a double. Beirne knocked in three runs and scored twice.
NICOLE JORDAN
Nicole Jordan, a former star at Jamesville High School, is playing with the East Carolina Lady Pirates.
Jordan is hitting .244 (10 for 41) this season. The senior has one home run, three doubles, has knocked in six and scored 10 times.
TIFFANY FREY
Frey, a former standout at Jamesville High School, is playing at Pitt Community College.
She is hitting .228 (13 for 57) this season. One of her hits went for a triple. She has scored 18 runs and has 10 RBIs. Frey has also stolen three bases.
DONECIA EBRON
Donecia Ebron, a former standout at Northside High School, is playing at Fayetteville.
Ebron hit .184 (7 for 38) on the season. She hit one triple, drove in six and scored 11 runs.
COLLEGE BASEBALL
TRENT WHITEHEAD
Trent Whitehead, a former star at Washington High School, is playing at East Carolina.
The junior leadoff batter is hitting .329 with one home run and 18 RBIs. Whitehead has 12 doubles among his 49 hits. The hit total is second highest on the Pirates.
Whitehead has scored 36 runs and has eight stolen bases.
STYRON BARFIELD
Styron Barfield, a former standout at Williamston High School, is playing at Elizabeth City State University. He just completed his senior season.
Barfield went 2-6 with a 5.31 ERA this year. He fanned 40 and walked 31 in 61 innings.
DAMIEN WILKINS
Damien Wilkins, a Washington native, is playing with the Minnesota Timberwolves. He just finished his sixth NBA season, and first in Minnesota.
Wilkins averaged 5.6 points, 3.1 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 0.8 steals per game.
Wilkins will be honored in Washington on June 19. Instead of Wilkins holding his annual basketball camp and Fun Day, the city can help thank Wilkins for all his hard work and dedication.
Live entertainment involving a step team, mime dance, soloists, gospel rapper and more will be held throughout the evening.
Tickets for those 16 years and older are $15. Tickets for those 5-15 are $9. Children 4 and under eat free.
Space is limited.
Contact Anne Latham, event coordinator, at 945-4191 to order tickets.