Coastal Plain all-stars capture state title|Robinson allows one run in win

Published 4:20 am Tuesday, July 13, 2010

By By BRIAN HAINES, Sports Writer
The Coastal Plain Senior Babe Ruth 18U all-star baseball team locked up a state championship on Monday topping the Triangle all-stars 3-1 at C.B. Aycock High School.
The Coastal Plain club whipped through the double-elimination state tourney going a perfect 4-0, and will now advance to regional tournament which will be held a week from now in Tennessee.
Washington Pam Pack star, and Coastal Plain ace, Michael Robinson pitched a complete game to earn the win, while fellow Pam Pack standout Will Swain drove in the game’s first run in the first inning.
Williamston slugger Christian Leggett drove in Coastal Plain’s final two runs in the third. From that point on, the team played lock down defense en route to victory.
“These guys are elated, it was a great feeling when we got the final out,” Coastal Plain coach Joe Duke said. “Everybody was just so excited about being there and winning.”
The Coastal Plain team is comprised of players ranging from Rocky Mount to Washington and features several area stars.
Along with Robinson and Swain are fellow Washington players Jake Duke and Brandon Thomas, who are joined by Bear Grass’ Caleb Hines and Josh Greenhual.
Robinson was terrific during the tournament going 2-0 on the mound while picking up a save in the four games the team played.
“His pitching has been on, and today he was still on,” Duke said. “His curveball was working well and his fastball was on target. … All his pitches were working today and he didn’t give up many fly balls.”
Robinson, who allowed only four hits and struck out one batter in seven innings, kept his defense busy.
The defense was up to the task. Duke, the shortstop, had six put-outs while Leggett, the third baseman, had three put-outs and second baseman Will Swain had two.
“The pitching and defense has been excellent all weekend,” Duke said. “We got a lot of ground ball outs and the defense played great behind the pitcher. … All these kids played great., each one contributed when we needed them.”
Up next for the players will be to prepare themselves for the regional tournament in Lewisburg, Ten. starting on July 21.
“We probably take the next couple of days off then practice a little bit before we prepare to leave,” Duke said.
The Coastal Plain team is responsible for paying its own way to the tournament and Duke said that any business or individual that would be interested in making a donation can contact him at 945-5192