Closings, cancellations and special arrangements
CLOSINGS AND SPECIAL ARRANGEMENTS
The following closings and special arrangements have been announced due to public health concerns surrounding COVID-19. With closings and changes happening on a minute-to-minute basis, please call ahead to ensure that your favorite stores and restaurants are opening. Business owners can send their latest information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Beaufort County Schools will be closed through at least May 15. The school system will offer free breakfast and lunch from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Mondays through Fridays while schools remain closed. This lunch will be available in a “drive-thru” setting at Northeast Elementary School, Eastern Elementary School, John Cotten Tayloe Elementary School, Chocowinity Primary School and SW Snowden Elementary School, the Belhaven Civic Center, The Salvation Army of Washington and the Washington Police Department Substation on Ninth Street. Parents, family members and neighbors may pick up these meals for their students whether or not the students are with them. Meals are being provided for birth to 18 years old. School staff will need the names of the students receiving the meals. The school system has also posted online learning resources, available at www.beaufort.k12.nc.us. Students can check out Chromebooks from their schools and free Wi-Fi access is available at Southside High School, Washington High School, Chocowinity Middle School and S.W. Snowden, Northside High School, Bath Elementary and the Washington Waterfront.
- Bright Futures is working with Beaufort County Schools Child Nutrition Services to continue providing Backpack Pal students with food on the weekends during the school closure. Nutrien will match the first $5,000 of donations received to provide food for students on the weekend. Any unused funds will be applied to future student needs. To make a donation, mail your check, payable to WBC Chamber Foundation (with Bright Futures – Nutrien match in the memo line) to WBC Chamber, PO Box 665, Washington, NC 27889.
- Beaufort County Community College has postponed graduation and is holding classes online for the remainder of the spring semester. For full details, visit www.beaufortccc.edu.
- Pungo Christian Academy is using virtual learning tools.
- Terra Ceia Christian School will be closed until further notice.
- NERSBA is closed for the next two weeks, with students receiving online instruction.
- Washington Montessori Public Charter School is closed.
- Beaufort County government is limiting public access to county offices. For more information, visit the county website at www.co.beaufort.nc.us. Residents who need to conduct face-to-face business are asked to call the specific department/office before visiting in person to discuss alternative service delivery options and/or make an appointment.
- The City of Washington has closed City Hall and all other facilities to the public. Utility and other city payments are to be made online, by phone or in person. In person payments are to be made in the drop boxes provided outside of City Hall for that purpose. The City is suspending disconnections of utilities due to nonpayment until further notice. All essential services, including police, fire, EMS, public water and sewer operations and electricity services remain operational. Personnel will continue to respond to emergency calls for service involving crime in progress or other incidents threatening someone’s wellbeing or life. Non-emergency reports may be taken over the phone. Recycling and yard waste will only be picked up every other week, starting March 30. Household trash pickup will continue on a regular schedule.
- The Town of Belhaven is asking residents to call town offices to take care of any business they may have rather than handling it in person. Those who need to make payments can use the drop box beside the front door. Payments may also be made over the phone at 252-943-3055.
- The Washington DMV Office is open by appointment only.
BUSINESSES AND NONPROFITS
- AJ’s Diner is offering takeout and delivery services.
- Ameriprise Financial Services is taking appointments by phone call and Web-Ex.
- Beaufort County DAV is canceling all service officer assistance until further notice. This is any assistance with veterans disability claims. The DAV is still available for veterans assistance on case by case status.
- Beaufort County Farm Bureau is encouraging phone and email communication.
- Beaufort Dog Training will be open Mondays through Fridays, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Bill’s Hotdogs is taking carryout orders.
- Boss Hog is offering takeout.
- Carryout by Chrislyn is offering curbside pick up and delivery.
- Cottage Junkies will offer curbside pickup for orders made online.
- CresCom Bank is closing its lobbies to the public and continuing drive-thru service.
- Cups & Cones is offering curbside service and limiting entry into the shop to one person at a time.
- Cypress Landing Golf Course Grill is taking orders for takeout.
- Eagle’s Wings will be operating on Tuesdays, however, no one is allowed inside the building. All sign-ins and distribution will happen outside. No one should visit outside of the hours of 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. until 5 p.m. Bathrooms will not be available for clients to use.
- El Mariachi Mexican Grill is offering takeout services.
- Farm Boys is offering takeout.
- Fish Hooks is offering carryout.
- Food Pride Deli is open for takeout.
- Frank’s Pizza is open for to-go and pickup orders.
- Frank and Shirley’s is offering drive-thru services.
- Gingerbread Bakery & O’Neal Snacks is offering takeout and delivery in Belhaven..
- Grub Brothers Eatery is now offering curbside pickup.
- Ichiban Bistro Restaurant is offering takeout.
- King Chicken is offering online ordering, call ahead ordering and curbside service.
- Kona Ice will continue to serve customers with a few additional precautions.
- Locavore Market Garden is now offering free home delivery.
- Marabella’s Italian restaurant is offering takeout services.
- Mi Fiesta is open for carryout.
- Old Town Country Kitchen is offering takeout services.
- Open Heart Country Kitchen and Catering is offering takeout.
- Pizza Inn is open for pickup.
- PC Sound is offering music lessons in store and online
- Perfect Perks Coffee Hut & Micki’s Munchies is offering drive thru service.
- The Poorman’s Flea Market is offering takeout orders and delivery.
- Rachel K’s Bakery is offering curbside delivery if customers preorder.
- Ribeyes of Washington is offering curbside pickup.
- Ruth’s House Antiques has closed temporarily. The Ruth’s House shelter, however, remains open.
- Scoops is open for carryout.
- Shep’s Grill is offering takeout and delivery services.
- Southern Grace Boutique will be open normal business hours and is offering free shipping on all orders.
- Spoon River is offering curbside pickup.
- Start Right Learning Center is open normal hours from 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- State Employees Credit Union is providing drive-thru services only.
- The Bank Bistro will offer curbside pickup.
- The Cleaners has implemented temporary schedule changes.
- The Hackney is offering takeout services.
- The Southern Nest is taking payments over the phone.
- Washington Crab & Seafood Shack is continuing to offer takeout services.
- Wine & Words & Gourmet is taking orders by phone.
<LIZ, PLEASE PLACE THIS ENTRY ON THE FRONT PAGE ON SATURDAY>
- The American Red Cross has seen a large number of canceled blood drives. A drive has been scheduled at the Chocowinity Volunteer Fire Department from 2 to 7 p.m March 30 and a second drive has been scheduled at the Blind Center from 3 to 7 pm. March 31. If you’re healthy, please schedule an appointment today at rdcrss.org/2xvuGUc.
The following events have been canceled/postponed due to public health concerns. If you have a cancellation or additional precautions your group or organization is taking, please email them to email@example.com.
FRIDAY, MARCH 27 – SUNDAY, MARCH 29
- ECU Opera Theater has canceled all Spring 2020 performances, including “The Fantasticks” at Arts of the Pamlico’s Historic Turnage Theatre on March 27-29.
SATURDAY, MARCH 28
- The Beaufort County Democratic Convention has been canceled.
THURSDAY, APRIL 2
- Beaufort County Committee of 100 Luncheon has been canceled.
THURSDAY, APRIL 2 – FRIDAY, APRIL 3
- The Pamlico Writers Group Writers Conference has been postponed until Sept. 25-26. Registration fees already collected will roll forward for the September conference. Full refunds are available until April 1.
SATURDAY, MAY 2
- The Cypress Landing Military Appreciation Day has been postponed until Sept. 26